SPONSORSHIP IS THE ULTIMATE NEIGHBORLY ACT
Sponsors ensure newcomers have the support and information they need to be successful in rebuilding their lives in the United States.
I think anybody who has their heart in the right place can do this. You look back on something like this and know it was the right thing to do."
SPONSOR GROUP RESPONSIBILITIES
A Private Sponsor Group (PSG) is a group of at least five adults who are American citizens or lawful permanent residents that accept responsibility to provide core sponsorship services to a refugee or refugee family. Core sponsorship services fit into four overarching categories:
Be a welcoming neighbor who helps people settle “softly”
- Warmly greet the family/individual at the airport
- Secure groceries, furnishings and key household supplies
- Provide orientation to the community and introduce cultural support networks
Help families navigate their new home, community, and country
- Assist with transportation and temporary housing
- Guide and advise parents in getting their children enrolled in school
- Support adults in networking and finding job opportunities
Provide guidance and connection to critical resources
- Help with accessing public benefits and language classes and signing up for important documents
- Support in accessing health, interpretation, and community services
Help families create enough financial stability for the first 90 days after arrival
- Sponsors must raise a minimum of $2,375 in cash and in-kind contributions per refugee newcomer being welcomed. This is used to secure and furnish housing and provide for the refugee’s initial basic needs, until they secure employment.
HOW ALIGHT SUPPORTS YOUR SPONSOR GROUP
For 40+ years Alight has worked with millions of people on their journey of displacement all over the world – including the United States – helping them successfully rebuild their homes in new communities.
Alight has mobilized and provides support to Sponsor Groups all over the country. Each group receives the below support and much more:
- Application support
- Mandatory and supplemental online trainings
- Resources, including checklists and guides
- A dedicated Alight team member to support the group
- Weekly Q&A sessions, email updates, opportunities to connect
- Reminders to complete reports and other necessary paperwork
- Connection to local benefits and resources
- A community of sponsors to network, engage and connect with